Prolonged sitting and sedentary lifestyle participation result in the following negative individual health effects:
- Muscle fatigue and muscle wasting
- Decreased Bone Health
- Poor Sleep Quality
- General Deconditioning
- Joint Stiffness
- Decreased Cardiovascular Fitness
- Weight Gain
- Increased Cell Inflammatory Response and Cell Aging
Lurati AR. Health Issues and Injury Risks Associated with Sitting and Sedentary Lifestyles. Workplace Health and Safety.2018;66(6)285-290.
High Amounts of Sedentary Behavior:
- Increase your overall mortality risk.
- Increase your risk of Type II Diabetes
- Appears linked to increased endometrial, colon and lung cancer risk.
Katzmarzyk, PT. Sedentary Behavior and Health: Update from the 2018 Physical Activity Advisory Committee. Med Sci Sport Ex. 2019;51(6):1227-1241.
RECOMMENDATION: When working or studying, minimize postural dysfunction microtrauma-> get up and walk 5 minutes every hour!